Mary Ann

Silver Moon
This is inspiring me, Mary Ann!

I was mostly vegan for a year but felt like I was limiting myself. I guess I still have to process attachments & fears related to foods (scarcity mindset) as I'm back to lacto-octo vegetarianism. I have allergic reactions to nuts & beans, too, but this needs to be investigated thoroughly.

If you have any tips, let me know.
I understand Allyria. Throughout my life I tried to be vegetarian and I failed as you can clearly see it reading previous posts. But one day, when I was in my difficult period of life, something happened. It was not just food, it was everything. I wanted to be free from all addictions, I wanted purification and to be reborn again. I'm not sure how to explain better what happened. I was lead in a certain direction and food was one of the things. I knew that it was something that I needed to change but I was not completely connected to the animals at that point and I didn't know if I can live without animal derived nutrients. After a while, I encountered several important YouTube speeches, documentaries and nutritionist that gave me knowledge and where I made my true connection. Without being connected it's hard to stay on that path when everyone around is eating animal products, packaged so that you can't see the pain behind.

If you are concerned about health and nutrition please check out nutritionists that have years of experience such as: Michael Klaper, Michael Greger, Neal Bernard. Also there is one really great nutrition video that I can recommend to watch from Michael Klaper; Thriving on a plant based diet. Also there is well know documentary: What the health ->

When you feel like you are limiting yourself try to see this differently. You are doing so much by choosing differently because:
1. Animal agriculture is considered to have major negative impact on the environment (watch Cowspiracy or see the statistics how much energy, land, water you need for breed an animal).
2. Health : https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/animal-products/
3. Animals are sentient beings, by sentient it means they have central nervous system. They suffer, feel pain, fear, cry... For example cows are forcibly impregnated (raped), and calves are taken away immediately which is really painful for the cows that cry for the loss.....
4. We are not designed to eat meat but we are able to digest it and at one point it was necessary for our survival. A child would never feel hungry while watching birds, dog, cat, cow., chicken..A child wants to hug and cuddle.

The thing is that science can deliver us evidence on nutrition, on our body design and so on. It is clear that we can live on a completely plant diet. But questions considering ethics, beliefs - are animals below us, do animals have souls, god says in the book that we can eat animals, is eating animals moral/ethical, is keeping animals for our needs when it's not a necessity moral or not - this is something that every culture, society you are born into sees differently because it is a human concept that we at some point in history "agreed" to. I hope this makes sense...

Probably I've missed something...I hope I gave you some valuable information.

Please feel free to ask me anything, I would give my best to answer your question.

Sending love and support :) :)

Allyria Lai

Golden Sun (LT)
The sudden change you experienced is the sort of thing I was asking about. Thank you for sharing your story, Mary Ann.

I am aware of the suffering & global impact the human consumption of animals is having. I've been a vegetarian for a few years, then a vegan for one (a few things had animal products in them I wasn't aware of), & now back to vegetarianism. For the most part, it is exhausting & time-consuming looking for vegan food. However, Taiwan is one of the greatest places to have vegan food due to the dominant religion of Buddhism.

I've practiced veganism in many areas besides food, such as trying to buy products that don't include animal cruelty, lowering my carbon footprint, eating food grown nearby, and so on. With regards to food, I don't enjoy or digest beans & nuts well which are main staples in a vegan diet as you know. A little seems okay, so that's the message from my body that I'll go with.

A large part of me wants to rebel against a very strict life & what seems to be limiting since I grew up in an isolated cult that disallowed freedom of choice.

I believe one day I will make the switch to no eggs & dairy (in bread mostly) if I am led to or called to.

Interestingly, I listened to Cha~zay's podcast 20 & 25 yesterday which answered many of my random questions. It is something you are called to do, as if your body, your soul, Spirit knows when is the right time & place. We are always Divinely guided & protected at all times & we are always in the right place at the right time. Right? : )

I will keep myself open to the messages I receive & process them with clarity & wisdom (making an intention here :) ). As for now, I am understanding the role of endorphins they provide as well as how much I depend on food to sustain me in many ways other than fuel. I have a cookbook, Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors by Hema Parekh, that has been providing much enjoyment & exploration. My body has been asking me to reduce the intake of eggs, bread, & tofu. I don't eat many mushrooms either since they are fungi that deconstruct decaying or dead matter. I don't really enjoy them anymore, another thing my body is moving away from. I use them in recipes to experiment, such as reconstituted shiitake broth in ramen noodles or spring roll dipping sauce. I don't want to limit myself as I've experienced suffering & depression from it.

I will try not to kill any more insects in my home, though I've been doing pretty well with catching & releasing. Sometimes, I just get angry at them for being in my home since I asked them to leave... Other times I talk to them kindly and happily remove them. Hah! I will do more dowsing about keeping them out of my home.

Anyway, have a nice day. It's good talking with you again. xo

Last edited:

IChoosePeace

Golden Sun (LT)
Wild foods are much more nutritious. That is one important thing to note! Tests have been done, and one example I remember is that a conventionally grown carrot had 16x LESS nutrients compared to a wildly grown carrot! I have started eating wild dandilion leafs and stinging nettle as these are super nutricious and found abundandly in the wild. I am also planning on growing sprouts in regular dirt found in the wild. Because the plant will then absorb the nutrients from the dirt in which they were plantet!

As for B12 I am not too worried. If animals (meat) contain B12, where did they absorb this nutrient from? The foods they were eating (plants), the sun, the dirt? They say that B12 is in the dirt, and so if the plants don't absorb this nutrient since they don't consist of B12 (at least that's the claim), then I think we can absorb it ourselves by walking barefoot just like Cha-zay said.

Gary Yourofsky (vegan animal activist) says that when people eat meat they are just filtering their nutrients through somebody else's body. That was an eye-opener for me. Nutrients and protein does not stem from meat, they stem from plants, dirt (and sun). Animals eat plants, absorb sun and walk barefoot, therefore they have these nutrients (incl. protein) in them. I think if we do the same we are alright as well.

Allyria Lai

Golden Sun (LT)
Wild foods are much more nutritious. That is one important thing to note! Tests have been done, and one example I remember is that a conventionally grown carrot had 16x LESS nutrients compared to a wildly grown carrot! I have started eating wild dandilion leafs and stinging nettle as these are super nutricious and found abundandly in the wild. I am also planning on growing sprouts in regular dirt found in the wild. Because the plant will then absorb the nutrients from the dirt in which they were plantet!

As for B12 I am not too worried. If animals (meat) contain B12, where did they absorb this nutrient from? The foods they were eating (plants), the sun, the dirt? They say that B12 is in the dirt, and so if the plants don't absorb this nutrient since they don't consist of B12 (at least that's the claim), then I think we can absorb it ourselves by walking barefoot just like Cha-zay said.

Gary Yourofsky (vegan animal activist) says that when people eat meat they are just filtering their nutrients through somebody else's body. That was an eye-opener for me. Nutrients and protein does not stem from meat, they stem from plants, dirt (and sun). Animals eat plants, absorb sun and walk barefoot, therefore they have these nutrients (incl. protein) in them. I think if we do the same we are alright as well.
@IChoosePeace, I love wild foods! Foraging has been so much fun & rewarding! Wild dandelion flowers are delicious too! Around here I've picked bay berries & made them into chocolate-covered jellies (with agar agar).

Walking barefoot is a great joy, even though there are pokey things at times... but on the beach or on grass are such simple but pleasurable activities.

Nutrients absorb through our skin, eyes, nostrils, liquids, and are there more?

It seems like this simplifying our eating habits leads to minimal living & a return to our roots. It feels like a deep connection with Mother Earth. <3